HydroFLASH and Insteon Starter Packages Coming!

Download the latest Released Firmware for your HydroFLASH Device

HydroFLASH and Insteon Starter Packages Coming!

Postby Support » Sat May 31, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi,

We will soon be offering HydroFLASH and Insteon Devices in the form of a complete starter package.

The starter package will include HydroFLASH, an Insteon 2413S Modem and various device types (switches, dimmers, led bulbs, thermostats, motion sensors etc.) as a complete Home Automation starter kit.

Additionally Insteon devices will be available for purchase directly from our Web Store as you expand your systems.

Look for an updated announcement soon!

Thanks,

HydroFLASH Team
Support

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH WiFi Version
Mobile App Type: Both
Insteon Devices: Yes

Re: HydroFLASH and Insteon Starter Packages Coming!

Postby mink » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi. I currently use 2 EZRain 8 station controllers (for my 12 irrigation zones) with a UDI Isy994i for web based home control programming via a serial PLM connected to the ISY994i. I just had one of the EZRains controllers fail which they do from time to time. I have kept a spare but rather than replacing it, I am seriously considering selling my two working EZRains and switching to your HydroFlash controller for irrigation since it already has most all the irrigation features I'm interested in controllable through a web intereface. Currently, I would have to program a more user freindly web ISY994i for my wife to be able to make manual changes.

I have quite a few insteon devices that the ISY994i handles the linking and programming for already. I've looked over your manual section on Insteon and I don't see really a value to getting a PLM for the Hydroflash since I have the ISY994i for the non-irrigation side of insteon control, but perhaps you have some suggestions.

Is it correct that no communication between the HydroFlash and the ISY994i is really possible even with a second PLM? Perhaps this would even create problems since there would be two sets of linking tables for the insteon devices in the differenct PLMs?

My ISY994i has a Z-wave module and I have a Honeywell Z-wave Thermostat and Alarm system keypad controller that allow the thermostat, alarm system and ISY994i to interact on the Z-wave standard. I actually have the alarms system status adjust the thermostat and in future plan on more motion sensor controlled lighting, both insteon and Z-wave. Are you planning any Z-wave connectivity for your HydroFlash unit? While the Insteon standard has a deep production line, there have been many reports of reliability issues especially with the SmartHome products. The Z-wave units seem to be entering more main stream product channels like the big box stores with perhaps better reliability.
TIA for you time in answering !
mink

HydroFLASH Type: Don't Currently Have a HydroFLASH
Mobile App Type: Android

Postby Support » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:37 am

Hi,

I am seriously considering selling my two working EZRains and switching to your HydroFlash controller for irrigation since it already has most all the irrigation features I'm interested in controllable through a web interface. Currently, I would have to program a more user friendly web ISY994i for my wife to be able to make manual changes.

HydroFLASH also comes with free mobile apps for Android and iPhone/iPad with cloud access so no port forwarding is necessary. Pair it with your device on your local network and you can then access from anywhere you have internet access. Control is easy and clear from the mobile app!

I have quite a few insteon devices that the ISY994i handles the linking and programming for already. I've looked over your manual section on Insteon and I don't see really a value to getting a PLM for the Hydroflash since I have the ISY994i for the non-irrigation side of insteon control, but perhaps you have some suggestions.

We are partial to having one app and device be able to control both Insteon devices and Irrigation. Keep in mind that you can still have HydroFLASH control your Insteon devices by simply linking them to the PLM plugged into HydroFLASH. Both the ISY and HF can be controllers however you obviously want to make sure you don't have schedule conflicts if you are trying to have both run programs to turn things on and off.

Is it correct that no communication between the HydroFlash and the ISY994i is really possible even with a second PLM? Perhaps this would even create problems since there would be two sets of linking tables for the insteon devices in the different PLMs?

This is correct regarding ISY to HF communications, but as stated above you can have two PLM's and the linking table is not an issue. It's like the light switch in the hall, who ever turns it on or off last will reflect what state it is in. If you turn it on with ISY, HF will know about its state within a minute or so. If your devices are reverse linked to HF then turning on on or off at the switch will inform HF immediately (we process these as events allowing you to do all kinds of fun stuff like running scenes or sending Push notifications to your mobile app). Great for rain delay notifications or when the mail comes....

Are you planning any Z-wave connectivity for your HydroFlash unit?

Yes are looking at integrating Z-Wave at some point in the future. HydroFLASH is a product that will continue improving via software updates.

Remember to purchase direct from our Webstore should you decide to move forward with HydroFLASH.

Thanks for your interest!
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

Postby mink » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:02 am

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, your mobile Android app is another reason I'm considering switching. I actually can see an advantage for the separation of irrigation from the other devices. I could give my gardener the password for the Hydroflash if he had a smart phone to run the system manually or make changes while not giving him access to the rest of the system (ie the ISY 994i controlled house network)

One last question. If my internet connection goes down, what schedule does the HydroFlash fall back to?

cheers
mink

HydroFLASH Type: Don't Currently Have a HydroFLASH
Mobile App Type: Android

Postby Support » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:41 pm

HydroFLASH has been improved to include a two button interface that will allow manual control of watering from the HydroFLASH front panel. This will allow maintenance personnel to control the system locally if needed. Stations can be activated for a (user settable) default time or canceled using the panel buttons.

All shipping units as of 8-12-2014 include the new button interface.

Existing units in the field can be upgraded with a top cover exchange. Please contact support for more information regarding this upgrade if interested. The latest software supports the button interface and all units can be upgraded.

Should you loose internet connection, HydroFLASH continues to execute all watering and Insteon program schedules, however since weather data would not be available, the benefits related to automatic rain delays, automatic temperature adjustments, would not be available (the default monthly temperature is used). We always recommend installing a rain sensor on HydroFLASH as a backup to prevent watering should you loose your internet services.
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

Return to Firmware Updates