IP Address keeps Changing

General HydroFLASH discussion. Any issues that don't fit into the other topics belong here.

IP Address keeps Changing

Postby dserhan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:51 am

The IP address keeps changing and the app on the phone disconnects frequently from the device. Need to look at the face of the controller to re-verify which IP address it's on everytime it disconnects. Also cannot get to the HF main page on my computer unless I reverify the IP address. Can it be fixed or is there another way to make it static on the router? Thanks in advance for the advice.
dserhan

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH WiFi Version
Mobile App Type: iPhone
Insteon Devices: No

Re: IP Address keeps Changing

Postby Support » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:51 pm

You can easily set a Fixed IP address via the Network Setting / Wireless Settings page via the Web interface.
Click the TCP/IP link at the top of the the Wireless Settings page.

You can then disable DHCP and set a fixed IP address for your HF device. Be sure you enter the information correctly including DNS fields.

Typically you would configure your router DHCP settings to hand out addresses at a starting point and ending point that reserves other addresses for Fixed IP assignment.

For example: Set your Router to start handing out IP addresses at 192.168.1.100 and limit the number of addresses to say 50.
Then you can assign the addresses from 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.99 and 192.168.1.51 through 192.168.1.254 to individual devices like HydroFLASH etc.

Once set HF will always be accessible via that address.

Hope this helps.
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

Mobile App Type: Both
Insteon Devices: Yes

Postby briangray » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Another approach: Most routers have an option to assign a "static" DHCP IP address to a device based on its MAC address. This is my favorite approach. That way, the HF will always get an IP that will not conflict with anything else on the network, and it does it through DHCP, so you do not have to manually deal with all the IP address info.
briangray

HydroFLASH Type: ----
Mobile App Type: ----
Insteon Devices: ----

Postby dserhan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Thanks. I fixed the IP at the HF device. Not really a network guy so a bit gunshy about the other suggestions. Everytime I mess with the router bad things happen. Appears to be working just fine on one IP. Thanks.
dserhan

Mobile App Type: iPhone
Insteon Devices: No

Return to General