Proper Insteon 3 way (2 switch) control

Discussions related to Insteon Devices, Scheduling, etc.

Proper Insteon 3 way (2 switch) control

Postby artthiel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:05 am

Please forgive a newbie question.
Just installed two (2) Insteon 2477D switchlincs on a previous 2 switch circuit. Linked the two switchlincs to each other, so both control the same load( garage door outside wash lights )
They follow each other nicely.
My question is how to turn one or the other switch off and on and dim with Hydroflash: tried adding one or the other (not both at same time) Neither switch responds to hydroflash.
I have two of the insteon RF link modules: unplugged and reinstalled them and responded to each other nominally. I mention this to note that I think signal strength should be OK and since both switches
respond to each other, the insteon signal is going OK, not from Hydroflash.
Ideas please ?!?
arthur thiel
artthiel

HydroFLASH Type: ----
Mobile App Type: ----
Insteon Devices: ----

Re: Proper Insteon 3 way (2 switch) control

Postby Support » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi,

You will also need to link the switches to your Insteon modem (2413S) that is plugged into HydroFLASH. Press and hold the modem linking switch until the modem beeps and it's linking led begins to blink. Then press and hold the linking buttons on the respective switch or module until the modem double beeps and the led stops flashing. Repeat for any device you want to control with HydroFLASH. Add the Insteon ID for the device you want to control to the Insteon Device list (Not the modem ID, just control devices). You should be good to go. It is handy to simply bring the Modem with you to the devices you are adding so that linking can be done easily. Then connect to HydroFLASH and plug in to the wall when you are done.

Note that if you have created a virtual multi-way switch, which is the way Insteon switches are installed for multi-way control. (IE top and bottom of stairs for example) Only ONE of the Insteon switches turns on and off the lights with the other(s) simply sending commands to the that switch. That stated, the only device you need in your HydroFLASH device list is the device that actually turns on and off the light. This can result in the secondary control switch indicating a OFF state even though the primary control switch is ON.
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH WiFi Version
Mobile App Type: Both
Insteon Devices: Yes

Postby artthiel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:56 am

Thank you!
Worked perfectly the first time
Thank you Brooks.
Arthur
artthiel

HydroFLASH Type: ----
Mobile App Type: ----
Insteon Devices: ----

Postby Elucidate » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi HFT,
I've installed a 3 switch circuit. Following instructions frm previous post, I think I've done it correctly, but something is just off. I've synced all 3 switches so when manually turning any one of them on or off all 3 behave in kind. The switch that actually turns the lights on/off is box 3 in the multiway wiring diagram. I've added that switch to HF controller, the controller successfully turns the lights on and off. But the switches don't show the corresponding status in the LED lighting. If for example I turn on the lights on using HF, the switches still show things off. I can press the switch off and the lights turn off. Obviously I did some bonehead thing but I can't determine what it might be. Thanks for your help.

Oh yeah I got sucked into the insteon instructions initially pressing the set button at the bottom of the switches instead of holding the switch on. Is that the culprit even though I subsequently synced everything correctly?
- jeff
Elucidate

Mobile App Type: iPhone

Postby Support » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi Jeff,

HydroFLASH currently only needs to know about the switch that turns on the actual lights. I understand that the other lights are cross linked via each light so that they all work in unison, so that they all turn "on" or off" at the same time reflected by the the LED status on the switch being all the way at the top vs bottom. When used with HydroFLASH, it will only control the one switch so the visual indicator on the "slave" switches will remain off.

We are looking at a method to improve behavior this for a future release. I recommend removing the "dummy"switches from the HydroFLASH device list if they are not needed (unless you are using one of these to generate an event).
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

Mobile App Type: Both

Postby Elucidate » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:49 pm

Brooks you very accurately understood my situation. Watching the switch that is controlling the lights does operate as expected. Glad I wasn't a bonehead this time. :) I was really hoping I didn't have to dig into a 4gang box. I think it'd explode forcing it closed with all the wires again. Never thought one could break a sweat replacing some light switches.
Cheers
Jeff
I love your HF controller and iPhone app! I'm addicted to the automation and sophistication of available control.
Elucidate

Mobile App Type: iPhone

Return to Insteon Controls