Equipment needed

Discussions related to Insteon Devices, Scheduling, etc.

Equipment needed

Postby xuv224 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:51 pm

I might want to expand from just a sprinkler controller to also control thermostats and dimmers with this device as well. What is the minimum equipment needed, in addition to this controller to control each thermostat / light dimmer?
xuv224

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH Wired Version
Mobile App Type: Android
Insteon Devices: Yes

Re: Equipment needed

Postby Support » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:51 am

You will need a Insteon 2413S (Serial) Modem to begin adding dimmers, switches, thermostats, I/O linc's etc.

HydroFLASH Support
Support

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH WiFi Version
Mobile App Type: Both

Postby drsubie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:32 am

I thought I'd just reply to this message rather than open a whole new topic...

so I'm interested in setting up my fountain pump to work with the HF and insteon...

If I understand correctly, I need the Insteon serial modem 2413S, and Insteon On/off module (in this case, outdoor module 2634-222)

So the modem connects to the HF via the serial port? That would mean that I'd be mounting the modem outdoors, in a weather resist box next to the HF--which is mounted outside to connect to the sprinkler wires in said box?

thanks!
drsubie

HydroFLASH Type: ----
Mobile App Type: ----
Insteon Devices: ----

Postby WitteGeek402 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:41 am

You are correct. The modem plugs into a standard 110 outlet and comes with an adapter the connects to the Hydroflash serial port. The 2634-222 would connect to an outlet as well.

If both are on the same phase of your power system they will communicate through the wires (which works awesomely). If they are on different phases the dual band kicks in. Dual band allows the devices if on different phases to still connect, however, the dual band can be range limited. Not sure how far your fountain is away from the HF. Range is listed as 150 feel line of sight. If you have a cinderblock wall that will, of course, reduce your range.

I hope you have as much fun playing with all the different things Insteon can do. And now that we have events you could probably even have the fountain turn on only when someone is near it. :) So much FUN!
WitteGeek402

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH Wired Version
Mobile App Type: Android

Postby Mikedr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:25 pm

The other idea is that you can plug the modem a bit farther away from the box that encloses the HF, and run the serial cable from the modem to HF. The serial cable I think is like three feet, but you can easily extend that. The maximum specified serial length is 50 feet, but I would go as short as possible.

Furthermore, the part of the serial cable that plugs into the modem is an RJ45 jack. So you can get any good cat5e/cat6 cable (I recommend getting a shielded variety -- monoprice sells them for cheap), plug one end into the modem, the other end into a coupler, and then plug the RJ45 of the serial cable into the coupler, too.
Mikedr

Postby drsubie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:32 am

Great ideas, thanks for the replies!

My fountain is really close to the HF...like 3 feet...however, the main problem is that I have 1 weather proof electrical outlet with 2 outlets, 1 taken up by the HF, the other by the pump motor...I'd also have to check if my weather proof box is big enough for the HF and serial modem... small things...
drsubie

Return to Insteon Controls