Insteon errors

Discussions related to Insteon Devices, Scheduling, etc.

Insteon errors

Postby Mikedr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:44 am

I'm getting Insteon errors. The switch is on the other side of the garage from the modem, literally 15 feet away open air. Do I have a bad modem or ? The other switch is maybe an additional 5 feet away through an interior wall.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (198.9 KiB) Viewed 19872 times
Mikedr

HydroFLASH Type: ----
Mobile App Type: ----
Insteon Devices: ----

Re: Insteon errors

Postby Support » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:11 am

Hi,

Need some more details here.

Has it been working fine up until recently?
Is this a new installation?
Did you link your devices with your modem successfully?
Are they controllable but only getting timeouts on occasion?

Might be better to send support an email so that your response time will be better in resolving this vs using the forum. Include a copy of your log file in the email if you can. This will be helpful. You can download it from the web page interface under File Management.

Communications issues resulting in time outs can be caused by a number of things. Please describe your Insteon setup including number of devices, device types etc.

Thanks,
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH WiFi Version
Mobile App Type: Both
Insteon Devices: Yes

Postby Mikedr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:29 pm

I'll go ahead and email support now. One general question, however -- I was unaware that I had to link the modem to the switches/responders. Is that necessary?
Mikedr

Postby Support » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:16 pm

Yes this is necessary. Some of the older firmware in Insteon devices did not require linking. You should always be able to status a device regardless of linking so it is unclear why you are receiving the timeouts. It is also unclear why they are responding to commands to turn on and off having not linked them.

Linking requires you to place the modem in linking mode. It does not need to be connected to HydroFLASH. Take it with you to the devices you are linking and plug it in near by to make it easy for yourself. Press and hold the button on the Modem until it beeps and starts blinking then press and hold the ON button on the switch and hold it until both devices beep and the modem stops blinking. Your are now linked. It takes up to 10 seconds or so to beep.

Reverse linking is the same process only placing the Switch in linking mode first then press the modem button creating a reverse link. Note that you only need to do the reverse link if you want HydroFLASH to be notified if that switch changes state so you can process it as an event, run a scene, send your phone a notification etc (Reverse linking to support events are only supported in the Beta Version of software just posted but will be released in shipping units very soon)

Support sent you and email requesting phone support should you desire it.

Thanks,
HydroFLASH Support
Support

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH WiFi Version
Mobile App Type: Both

Postby Mikedr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:11 pm

Thank you again for the quick reply! I also responded to your email.

I reset the modem, and linked both devices now. I'm hoping that does the trick!

I had originally linked the devices, but then thought I wasn't supposed to, so I reset the modem to the factory state. Maybe everything wasn't cleared out from the modem correctly?

In general, what are timeouts caused by? Further, what are the NAK responses from the modem caused by?
Mikedr

Postby Mikedr » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:40 am

Knock on wood ... Installed a repeater and haven't seen any comm errors since!
Mikedr

Postby WitteGeek402 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:32 am

I get NAK errors when I screw up my linking. Which happens more than it should, but sometimes I do dumb things. :oops: Or if insteon device resets. I have that problem in my garage for some reason.
WitteGeek402

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH Wired Version
Mobile App Type: Android

Postby Mikedr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:21 pm

I screw up linking too, which is embarrassing because it's not like the process is that hard! :\
Mikedr

Return to Insteon Controls