Rain Sensor and METAR

Having problems? Perhaps others have had similar issues. Post HydroFLASH technical issues here.

Rain Sensor and METAR

Postby chadm » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:47 pm

I have an irritrol rain/freeze sensor connected and configured for normally-closed operation. We received 2" of rain last night, which was properly detected in the METAR data. The irritrol indicates rain has occurred (LED illuminated).

I have METAR set for 0.05" with a one-hour delay. METAR data no longer indicates rain, the irritrol does - hydroflash is displaying "system normal". Hydroflash appears to base rain delays on METAR data only, rather than both inputs.

I would like to use both to pre-emptively delay in the presence of rain via METAR - the METAR data comes from 20 miles away, and to continue to delay until the irritrol is dry. I thought this was the expected implementation based on the existance of both primitives in the web UI.

I am on the current firmware, with 'use preciptitation only' enabled.
chadm

HydroFLASH Type: ----
Mobile App Type: ----
Insteon Devices: ----

Re: Rain Sensor and METAR

Postby Support » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi

If your Rain Sensor is a "Normally Closed" device (When No Rain has been detected) and you have HydroFLASH configured via the settings page to be connected to a "Normally Closed" sensor by Un-Checking the Rain Sensor Input Select, then it should operate as you suggest. Once the Rain Delay Time has expired, the sensor will be checked again and re-set to user programmable delay so long as it is (in your case) in the "Open" state.

If you have a 1 hour delay and there has been no METAR rain delays, you should see a entry in your log at the top of each hour where the rain delay expires and then was reset by the rain sensor.

Is it possible that the Rain Sensor is not actually in the Open state or perhaps shorted? You can simulate a rain event by simply unplugging the connector on HydroFLASH (the Rain Sensor input) with your given configuration, it should sense the open and generate a rain delay (assuming it is not currently showing a rain delay).

We can give you a ring to help if you wish, just send a contact number to support@hydroflash.net.

Thanks,
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH WiFi Version
Mobile App Type: Both
Insteon Devices: Yes

Postby chadm » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:35 pm

Thank you for the swift reply, and verifying the expected mode of operation.

Although my rain/freeze sensor appears to be fully functional (power/signal/rain LEDs illuminated appropriately), it would appear that the internal relay is indeed 'stuck'. I pulled the rain sensor wiring out from the HF and it immediately detected a rain event.

Great that the HF is operating as designed. Horrible advertisement for Irritrol rain/freeze sensor's durability (or my absence of good luck)
chadm

Postby Support » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi,

Some of the newer rain sensors have both contacts available (Normally Closed and Normally Open) User picks which one they want to use.
Just want to be sure that the correct wiring was used. (Had it operated correctly before?)
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH WiFi Version
Mobile App Type: Both
Insteon Devices: Yes

Postby chadm » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:45 pm

It definitely worked with the other implementations I have in my garage 'lab'.
chadm

Return to Bug Reports