Connection Timed Out

Having problems? Perhaps others have had similar issues. Post HydroFLASH technical issues here.

Connection Timed Out

Postby gadgetpavilion » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Let me first start by saying that I love this unit and Brooks has given me amazing customer support thus far. I've owned this unit for several months now and it has not given me that many problems. However just recently, it has acquired a bug of sorts. I will be able to access and use all the iPhone and web functions of the unit fine, then all of a sudden, out of the blue, the local ip of the Hydroflash as well as the iPhone app can no longer connect.

Originally, I thought that this would have been a router issue or an issue with signal strength, but when this happened each time, I physically look at the unit and it says that I'm still connected with excellent signal strength, and it still gives me a local ip, yet I can not connect to it. If I power cycle the unit, the problem goes away and everything works again for about a week, then it happens again.

I'm on the latest firmware, if that matters. Thanks in advance for the help.
gadgetpavilion

HydroFLASH Type: ----
Mobile App Type: ----
Insteon Devices: ----

Re: Connection Timed Out

Postby Support » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi,
First off, I am sorry you are having an issue. We have had a couple of reports (2) of this happening and are trying to determine if it is a software or hardware issue. Give us a few days to dig onto it a bit more and I'll update you if we find something concrete. If it continues, we will be happy to send you a replacement unit and you can return your unit. You can let us know via the support email and we will ship a new unit to you.

If anyone else is currently having this issue please let us know!

Thanks,
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH WiFi Version
Mobile App Type: Both
Insteon Devices: Yes

Postby colterc » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi,

I have been having this same issue as well. Everything looks to be fine when looking at the HF status on the unit. I have the unit on a UPS so I know there is no power interruptions. My router is also on a UPS so there is no power interruptions taking place on my network. I did a bit of testing and believe I have some substantial clues that will help you guys out on sourcing the root cause here. I will follow up with an E-mail directly to tech support as I do not want to boor everyone with all my testing details…
colterc

Postby Support » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21 am

Hi,

We have discovered a potential issue with HydroFLASH WiFi version when running with some N type routers. The symptoms include loss of local connectivity and or loss of cloud connectivity or both. HydroFLASH defaults on reset to B, G or N compatibility. On the HydroFLASH System Settings page this can be selected using the "Frequency Band" option. The default is 'ALL' but we recommend that if you are having issues to change it to "BG" and save the settings.

We will be releasing an update in the next day or so to change the hardware reset default values to "BG" vs "ALL". That way you can always fall back to the BG mode on a reset. Some of the newer Airport Extremes and Airport Express Extenders along with several other N routers have produced this issue. Since speed is not an requirement with HydroFLASH we recommend using BG as the default until we determine the root cause of the issue. If you are not having any issues and you have a N type router you don't need to adjust the setting.

For those that have been having this issue, can you please update your settings and advise of your results?

This update comes on the heals of the most recent update 1.01.47. Look for an update in the coming day or two.

Big thanks goes out to Colter for helping us identify the issue and Emma for having the patience to work through it!
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

Postby mwilson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:46 pm

I have the wired version of the HF controller and every once in a while I would get the "Remote host closed connection" or "Connection reset by peer" message in the iOS app. Web interface is always able to connect, it's just the app giving me trouble. This issue manifests itself regardless of whether the controller is accessed via cloud or directly on the local network. Killing the app via the multitasking bar works most of the time to reestablish connection, but sometimes I would just have to incessantly try to refresh the home page status.
mwilson

Postby Support » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi
This issue manifests itself regardless of whether the controller is accessed via cloud or directly on the local network.

When you are
directly on the local network
is the controller option on your app still set to Cloud or Direct?

If is is still set to Cloud then your connection is as follows:
App->Local Network->Internet->Cloud->Internet->Local Network->HydroFLASH
vs
App->Local Network->HydroFLASH

Can you see if it is still happening when you are on your local network and have it set it to Direct via the Control Edit menu on your app?
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

Postby mwilson » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:42 pm

Yes, the issue persists regardless of how the app is set to connect. Even if it's set to direct, and my phone is on the local network I get this issue at times. I believe I can get it to reproduce under certain circumstances more often, so I'll try to write up the steps, sometime next week.
mwilson

Postby Support » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi,

Can you also share your Mobile Device type and iOS version?
Also if you have another device, perhaps an iPad or Android connected, do these devices exhibit the same issue?

Thanks,
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

Postby mwilson » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:17 pm

Sorry for the belated response, but I've been monitoring the controller and haven't had a single connection issue since the last firmware update. So it looks like we're good for now. Thanks anyway for staying on top of this!
mwilson

Postby chapo » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:01 pm

I have had this same problem twice with the most recent firmware. Everything will be working fine and I will open my android app and it won't connect. I will then try to connect with the computer and same thing, nothing. I have to unplug the controller and let it reboot and everything will be back to normal. Before the most recent update I had never had the problem before. My phone is a Galaxy Nexus running 4.3 and my router is a Netgear wndr3700 if that helps at all.
chapo

Next

Return to Bug Reports