Insteon Connectivity - Check your Log File

Discussions related to Insteon Devices, Scheduling, etc.

Insteon Connectivity - Check your Log File

Postby Support » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Users should be checking their log file (located in the Mobile App under More:View Log or Via the Web Page under File Management: View Current Log File) to verify that they are communicating with all configured insteon devices correctly. The log file will contain timeout entries when a device fails a status query or fails to communicate following a commanded action.

A number of factors can influence insteon communications, including number of devices installed, if they are dual band (newer type), number of access points installed (for older non dual band devices), etc.

Be sure to take a look at this file on occasion if you don't have HydroFLASH set up to email you the log file daily. (The email configuration can be configured on the Settings page).

Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Last edited by Support on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH WiFi Version
Mobile App Type: Both
Insteon Devices: Yes

Re: Insteon Connectivity - Check your Log File

Postby briangray » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Interesting coincidence... I got four "Insteon Timeout - Message Destination (xx.xx.xx)" errors this morning for the same device. This is the first time I have noticed a message like this, and the HydroFLASH has successfully controlled this device in the past. The messages occurred at 06:58:12, 07:07:22, 07:11:22, and 07:14:05 today and have not occurred since. I do not have any programs setup for this device, and I was not attempting to control it from the HydroFLASH. Also, I do not think that it was used manually during that time, but I cannot remember for sure.
briangray

HydroFLASH Type: ----
Mobile App Type: ----
Insteon Devices: ----

Re: Insteon Connectivity - Check your Log File

Postby Support » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:52 pm

Brian,

HydroFLASH polls all Insteon devices in the background, so this is where you saw a timeout message occur.
Make a note of which device is seeing the occasional status timeouts. It may be that you need to add an access point somewhere between physical location of the Insteon Modem and the device in question. Depending on how many devices you have, their type(non dual band or dual band), which of the 2 wiring phases they are connected to, distance between devices, etc can affect connectivity.

Reference Information:
Dual Band = Device communicates over the Power Lines AND Wireless
Standard = Device communicates over Power Lines Only

Insteon also makes Access Point Modules. These modules plug into an outlet and are a Dual Band device. Their sole purpose is to provide communication support across the two wiring phases in your home AND communicate with other wireless devices like hand held remotes. 2 or more Access points can be installed in a system adding robustness to the network. Now that Insteon is making most devices Dual Band, the need for access points is practically eliminated since each Dual Band switch or module acts just like an access point.

The system we here that we use for development has 32 devices, and 3 access points. It is a mix of older Insteon devices and the newer Dual Band devices.

Hope this information helps.

Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH WiFi Version
Mobile App Type: Both
Insteon Devices: Yes

Return to Insteon Controls