Triggering an event based on garage door

Discussions related to Insteon Devices, Scheduling, etc.

Triggering an event based on garage door

Postby RockyJ » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:48 pm

Current system includes a HydroFLASH controller connected to an INSTEON 2413S Serial Interface, INSTEON 74551 Garage Door Control and Status Kit. I have a scene that turns on the front porch lights when a motion sensor triggers, but I can't seem to get the same scene to run when the garage door opens. The garage door correctly shows up as open or closed on the status page, and I can open and close it through the manual Insteon momentary control.

InsteonDevices.JPG
InsteonDevices.JPG (41.96 KiB) Viewed 37006 times

I have the events set up as follows;

DeviceEvents.JPG
DeviceEvents.JPG (38.9 KiB) Viewed 37006 times

And I am able to manually run the scene, which is about as simple as it gets;

Front Outside Lights,ON,NONE,NONE

One difference that I can see is I always get a log entry when the motion detector
Sun 12-06-2015 08:20:48 - Device 'Motion Detector' Commanded Insteon Scene 'Alert-TurnOnFrontLights' to Run

But I don't see anything similar for the garage door triggering its event.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
RockyJ

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH Wired Version
Mobile App Type: iPhone
Insteon Devices: Yes

Re: Triggering an event based on garage door

Postby Support » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:37 pm

It is likely that you do not have the I/O Link "reversed" linked to your modem so that it will send it's ON or OFF (OPEN/CLOSED) state when it changes. You will see the status correctly on the web/mobile app only after HydroFLASH "polls" your devices periodically.

To correct this, Place the Garage Door in the Closed state so that the magnetic contact closure input to the I/O link is closed and the green LED on the contact closure input is on. Then press the Linking button on the I/O link and hold it until it beeps and starts blinking the Linking LED (1-2 Seconds). The on your Modem connected to HF press and hold the linking button until they both beep and the linking is completed. It is helpful to simply disconnect the modem from HF and bring it near the device you are linking to / reverse linking to so you can hear and see the linking process complete. This is the same process you use to link the modem to your other devices only reversed.

Now when the contact closure input changes, your I/O link will immediately send it's state to your modem and to HydroFLASH for processing. Scenes and push notification will then execute as you want.

We will be releasing an update to your HF software that automates the linking process so that you should no longer need to do the linking manually between your Modem and any devices you have or add later. We hope to have this ready by mid Jan or earlier.

Hope this helps.
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH WiFi Version
Mobile App Type: Both

Postby Support » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:02 pm

Also be sure to place the I/O link into momentary mode by doing the following.

Press and hold the linking button placing it into linking mode. It will beep
Then press and hold it again to place it into Un-Linking Mode. It will beep again.
Then press and hold it one last time. It will beep one more time and the linking led should stop blinking.

Tap the linking button once and it should activate the internal relay (closing or opening the garage door) but the relay should only close for a few seconds and then open again. If you can't hear it over the garage door operating, unplug the garage door and try it so you can hear the relay cycle. This is the desired mode for controlling gates or garage doors.
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

Postby RockyJ » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:32 pm

That did it. Thank you very much. The open/closed state seems to be reversed for the trigger, but changing the event to trigger on an "OFF" condition seems to take care of that.

Awesome support. Thanks again.
RockyJ

HydroFLASH Type: HydroFLASH Wired Version
Mobile App Type: iPhone

Postby Support » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:27 pm

Yes that would be correct. ON state is closed and OFF state would be sent when the Garage door opens.

You can also add another Event (with no specific scene action) for the Garage door ON event and check the days, enabled and push notification and you then receive an event notification when the garage door is both opened and when it is fully closed. It will then run your scene and send a push notification when opening but just send a push notification when closed.
Brooks
HydroFLASH Support
Support

Return to Insteon Controls